Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Journal Entry

I think for the first time I have a solid, possible idea for my thesis. It's not even sort of complete but its someplace to start at. In my Social Evolution class we've gone into the detailed intricacies of the Theory of Evolution and the effect that it's had on social constructs among a population, and visa versa. I've been specifically interested in Reproductive Success, Sperm Competition, and Sexual Dimorphism and how the very specific attributes of each of these things have evolved to best serve the social constructs of a population of animals. Also, on the selection for things that are particularly symmetrical due to the fact that symmetry is a sign of good genes, so it would be selected for.

Untitled

I'm not sure where I'm going to go with this idea exactly, and after our midterm on Thursday we're getting into the very specifics about how these things effect Human society in particular. As well as an entire lecture on symmetry. I think this is a good idea for thesis because besides being open enough that the idea can manifest itself in a lot of different ways, this is a topic that is relatable to literally everyone because, after all, it's effected our lives in a lot of powerful and specific ways.

Untitled

Although neither of these images are what I'm specifically planning my thesis to look like, it's just sort of a start as to what I'm thinking about and where my thoughts are taking me. I want to do a lot more research on the topic before I decide anything on aesthetics.

to do list...
1. Talk to Professor Jacobson (my social evo teacher) about further readings on the topic and possibly students/staff I could talk to and possibly work with.
2. Work on titling my work. 
This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately and have been getting very frustrated with. I think I need to just bite the bullet and decide on titles for once in my life. (I think I mentioned this in my last journal entry but have been too busy to really focus on this issue)
3. Redo website
This is sort of off topic but I've been meaning to remake my website now that I have a decent understanding of HTML and CSS, my current portfolio site isn't cutting it anymore. Especially after Thursday, when I won't be as swamped with studying for mid-terms, I'll have time to get this done.

No comments:

Post a Comment